Saturday 5 January 2019

Something you needn't know about me

Yesterday we spent all of the afternoon and some of the evening taking down our Christmas tree and other decorations, and as happens every year, I feel both sorry about it and eager to get it done.  As you may have noticed if you've come into our place, we have lots of cushions, glass bottles, bowls, kaleidoscopes, things that hang in the windows, others that sit on trunks and shelves and many lovely-shaped baskets full of other things that are also lovely but not necessarily useful.

While the Christmas lights, trees, wreaths, Santas, angels and crèches are in place, our other stuff has been taken down and settled in a big box in the locker, which is the same big box in which we have to later put all our Christmas stuff.

You can imagine it isn't really easy.  Nor is it necessary, but it is one of the few things that has us working together for hours. Twice, in 20 or so days. The only other thing I can think of that is similar in our lives is moving from one home to another, which we haven't done in the last 10 years.

Another part of "not easy" is that we tend to forget things, so this year, before we even started, I used my phone to take photos of the shelves in the living room and in the hallway so that we'd get things back right even if we couldn't remember all the details. I was so pleased with myself!

Then here's the thing I haven't wanted to share:  when I got my phone out to look at the photos, I could hardly see the detail because pictures on phones are pretty small.  I didn't even, not for a moment, think about using my huge computer screen.  I just stomped and felt foolish and did my best to work it out.

Please try to forget all I've just confessed.

2 comments:

  1. Sue does the decorating on her own. She knows what she's doing and works at her pace. She would have to instruct me every step of the way otherwise. Sometimes I feel bad about this, but on the whole, I am relieved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a similar thing with my clothes ... I flip from summer to winter. It is a tremendous undertaking and requires bribery and Huey Lewis but Gregg gets me through it.

    ReplyDelete