Sunday 27 January 2019

Learning through Singing

For the last couple of weeks I have been singing, in my head, a line from a very unusual love song I like by the Civil Wars, one of my favourite groups.  The line I have been repeating ad nauseam, is this

 "Oh, I wish I never ever seen your face
I wish you were the one
Wish you were the one that got away"


The Civil Wars were a critically acclaimed American musical duo composed of Joy Williams and John Paul White, and if you've never heard them, I highly recommend you grab your earbuds.  They wrote wonderful music and then made it even better as they sang beautifully as well as redefined, for me anyway, how two people can make great music way better than you could imagine.

However, as so often, this is a post about me.  As I said, I've been singing this line to myself almost continuously day and night since before Christmas, and although there are lots of other musical experts whose music I love, those words were caught in my brain, and were absolutely going nowhere else, or being shared with any other artists. And I must say that those words had nothing, repeat nothing, to do with my very satisfying relationship with Dave.

Yesterday though, I suddenly noticed that something had changed in my head, and  strangely enough I was singing, 

 "Oh, I wish I never ever seen your face
I wish you were the one
Wish I were the one that got away"

A very subtle difference isn't it?  Probably nothing to it, but it has led me to bookmark this:

self-love

Dictionary result for self-love

/ˈˌself ˈləv/
noun
  1. regard for one's own well-being and happiness (chiefly considered as a desirable rather than narcissistic characteristic).


5 comments:

  1. I don't know this group, but I can pretty much count on one hand groups that I do know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot more compelling info popping into your head than the weird shit that comes into mine, seemingly from nowhere, like "Swahili!" and "Sprechenzeedeutch!" -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess who recorded a song/video with them a few years back for The Hunger Games soundtrack?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhAS_GnJIc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your post commenting doesn't make links, are you okay highlighting/copying/pasting that YouTube URL?

      If not... DAVE!!! Lorna needs your help :-)

      Delete
  4. I'll talk to Dave about it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete