Saturday 29 December 2018

A slow day in December

My kids and grandkids have stopped telling me I need hearing aids, and I thought it was because I was doing all right hearing-wise.  I haven't been using my hearing aids for about a year, because I almost lost the one for my left ear, and rather than lose them, I decided to keep them safe in the box they came in.

Today, Dave and I went back to the place where we bought my aids and got them fixed up and ready for me to take on again.  Wow!  I had no idea of the loss until I heard things the way other people do.  After, we went to a restaurant for dinner, and I could hear the background music which recently I had thought was a rather silly thing for restaurants to spend money on as it could barely be heard....then at home, we could turn the TV sound down to 7 instead of 15. Kind of a joy! And it's just another instance of how kind Dave is.

Now that I've tackled sound, I'm about to tackle the sorting of my books.  We have a couple of sets of bookshelves, but they're full and almost all the books read, so it's time to get serious about what can be kept. Who am I trying to fool?  I am always passing books on and then missing them. Just this weekend, I found 4 books I'd begged Emily to take which I would love to read again. I brought one of them home and I know that I'm going to keep thinking about them until I give up and ask her if I can have them back. Then next year, I'll be trying to get her to take them again.

One of the things that would make it easier would be to determine not to put things other than books on the shelves, but I like the mix. Or I just don't like to leave myself with nothing to worry about. 

5 comments:

  1. My hearing gets worse and worse. I think I have more than a 50% loss in some registers. Even with aids, I listen to tv through Bluetooth as it's a little clearer that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! And apparently now you could hear me if I were to speak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing well again will surely make a difference to many things! All the best to you and Dave, Lorna, for the coming year. Thanks for your friendship. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, if I were not on Facebook, would we be able to continue with our friendship? I'm seriously thinking of leaving FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would we have any problem? I hardly ever look at Facebook anymore. I limit myself to Saturdays, usually, and that doesn't last long. After my recent two weeks away with hardly any data, I had a look yesterday and except for seeing the obituary for a friend's mother (so I was glad I looked at FB), all the rest was sponsored ads and shared memes. ALL the rest. Such a waste of time. - Kate

      Delete