Saturday 26 May 2018

self-exploration

This is not a sad story....just a list of a couple of things that have left me wondering about my ability to run a house by myself, especially when I'm the only one living in it.


  • Dave and I have been working to get more educated about the many possibilities connected to our smartphones, and one of the recent things is to take a photo of our shopping list which we keep on an old dry-erase tablet on the fridge door. I went out today and actually left my phone in the house so that I had neither phone nor shopping list with me.  In my distress at having forgotten what I wanted before I left, I actually bought things I didn't know I wanted, but few of the things that were on the list.
  • We recently bought two full-length cupboards that are nailed to the wall in the bathroom.  We found that we have shampoos, conditioners, face creams, assorted paper products, sunscreen and towels both in the new cupboard, and in the cupboard they used to be in, where we hoped to store other things. When I was out shopping today, I actually bought new (but improved) sunscreen!
  • Because I fear to have people think I'm helpless, when they offer support, I say "Oh thanks, everything is fine" and now I have a cupboard in the front hall that I can't use because there is no pole on which to hang stuff.., and two full-length mirrored front hall doors stashed behind my desk, which I find distracting, and causes me to check and see if my lipstick is still pinkish.
  • Since Dave is away, I have eaten the last of the ice cream we had, so I bought a small insulated bag that would let me bring ice cream home on the bus.  I got distracted by sesame croissants and forgot to buy ice cream. The helpful cashier put my milk in the insulated bag and it was still cold when I got home. Small win. 

2 comments:

  1. Even when I remember to take the list with me, it's a tossup whether I will actually track it carefully enough to get everything that's on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of taking a photo of the grocery list. What a good idea! Usually I take it off the fridge, don't get everything on it for various reasons, and wish to enter those I didn't get onto a new list -- only to discover I can't find the damn thing anymore, sometimes. A list not on the fridge can disappear like a sock in the laundry. -Kate

    ReplyDelete