Tuesday 15 May 2018

Live with the consequences?

I'm feeling lonely.  Or is it lonesome?

Here's the possible difference:
lonesome person has hope, a lonely person, not so much. But generally, lonely is meant to mean lack of companionship and personification of that lack (e.g. Houses cannot be lonely unless it is personified), whereas lonesome signifies something desolate, secluded or solitary like a lonesome house.

I'm still not sure, but I know that I'd rather not be either of these.  And I don't know whether I'm doing something or not doing something that might change how I'm feeling.  Or do I have to try to change how other people are feeling towards me?

For example, last night I had planned to go to a bar downtown and see a musician I like both for his music and for himself.  It was in my calendar.  What I actually did was watch many, many episodes of Grace and Frankie on Netflix because I had convinced myself that I might get to that bar and not know a soul.

Just writing that makes me really uncomfortable, but it's not the first time I've planned something interesting and possibly fun only to stay home for no good reason.

What do you think?  Is this something that a woman of my age should be able to overcome, or is it something people grow into?


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like your evening was perfectly enjoyable! I'm the worst person to offer insight, as I'd've done what you did: to hell with going out, just stay in. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we somehow and intuitively calculate costs/benefits and make our decision. As going out becomes a bit more of a chore, we may decide that being comfy at home is better. But I get your concern; making an effort can also be rewarding, and we don't want to get stuck in the mud as it were.

    ReplyDelete