Sunday 18 September 2016

From here to there

At almost 20, seeking maturity
at 74, singing along to the Beatles
I was so amazed at the reachout from The Memory Project at the Bruyère Hospital.  They called me last Thursday and I was tested on Friday!  David came with me as they suggest it's a good idea to have someone there who knows the person being tested.  Knowing Dave's strong curiosity, I thought we might have a problem, but he was perfect: sat beside me, supported me and helped me when I needed it but otherwise,while he may have had questions, he didn't put one forth.

The test was not hard, but some parts of it were tricky, such as the time I had 30 seconds to name as many 4-legged animals as I could and found myself screeching "whales" and "chameleons".  Did I mention I'm competitive?


I was really surprised to see how I didn't use straight lines for connecting similar or consequential things and that I had a hard time with the perspectives of images.  My drawing of two connected hectagons looked like the work of a 4-year old architect.

When all the boxes had been filled in, the questions answered, both mine and the nurse's, I was told that they needed a CT scan, and to compare my answers to the formal questions with the general conversation that went on among the 3 of us throughout the meeting. 

I can expect to hear back from them in 4 months.  If I'm as seriously affected as I think I am, they'll start therapeutic and supportive work, and I'll be able to deal with a reality that I can manage for a while.  If not, they assured me that taking the test was a good thing to do given that I was so confident in my own assessment.

Strangely, the minute we were outside and walking to our car, I wanted, wanted, a glass of wine, but when we got home, I made myself a  cup of hot lime juice.  I shouldn't have said "strangely" though because I was appalled at my answer to how many glasses of wine I had in a week.  I lowballed it at 15.

Oh, the wide and winding road!

7 comments:

  1. You're every bit as 'with it' as I am, but that's probably no consolation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your honesty, strength & humor. You seem every bit the lorna I remember from our blogging days. Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, I love reading about your experiences. I feel like I get to walk in your shoes for a moment and it helps widen my perspective and at the same time helps me to reflect on my own life. Not to mention it's fun to read them too. You're a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so competitive I'm writing down the questions so I can go in prepared with answers.

    Joking aside, it's a scary thing to be grasping for words or ideas that you KNOW you HAVE but cannot find inside your own darn brain.

    4 months seems like a long time to wait on this kind of thing.

    I know 2 people recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's - 1 who just felt it, despite his family members thinking he was quite fine, and 1 whose family insisted even though he thought he was quite fine.
    Both were put on medication and saw MARKED improvement.


    Glad to see you writing again Lorna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the support---I've always felt that from you

      Delete
  5. Sheesh, four months! WTH? Oh my fingers are crossed that it's going to be good news ... that you just have to cut down on your wine-drinking ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're my pioneer leader into new life vistas. That's your reward for - as my mother claimed - robbing the cradle. [:-)

    ReplyDelete