Monday 25 November 2019

Yikes!!, for which I usually blame myself

I have a thing about pockets.  When I'm shopping, it's the first thing I check out and it is often the decision point. 

Strangely, although I want pockets, I hardly use them and find myself carrying, in bags, things that would just beautifully fill in the pockets of my jacket.  And I've noticed the un-use of pockets happens more in my jeans and pants than in my shirts and coats. All this has, up to now, been not much of a problem of any kind.

Yesterday though, putting my favourite lipstick in my jeans pocket led to a very distressing outcome...just the very thing no one wants to see happen. Getting the wash started, I forgot I had anything in my hardly-ever used pockets and tossed our dark clothes in the washer.  

They all came out shining with more or less pinkish-red shapes, shapes that had not been there before the wash, and that was my first clue that something had gone awry. As I yanked everything out of the washer, the top part of the lipstick case landed on the floor. (the rest is probably going to show up next time I do a white wash)

Dave, and probably some of our neighbours, heard my rather loud and definitely unacceptable response to the pinkness.  It had nothing to do with possibly ruined clothes and all to do with my self-respect.  "How could I have done something so stupid?"  is how I started.......

 When Dave just brushed it all off saying something about how it could happen to anyone and how easily it could be dealt with, I actually started laughing, which is not at all like me in similar semi-disastrous events.  

Most of the clothes released the stains when I used a super-cleaner so it's no problem for them. The lipstick had been my favourite one and now I can't remember its name, so I don't come out of this totally OK but I did get a lesson in what's forgivable  and what might just happen to people who are in the last half of 70.
Fixes everything!!








3 comments:

  1. Every now and then (not often), I leave a tissue in my pocket when Sue does the laundry. She does not appreciate that. I tell that my mother always used to check the pockets before putting things in the laundry. She does not appreciate that either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, checking the pockets is the job of the pocket owner. Who fixes the mistake might be negotiable. Making sure there is good quality ice cream ready to come to the rescue is not negotiable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stubblejumpers Cafe27 November 2019 at 07:32

    My husband is doing his own laundry separately from mine because he can't seem to master the pocket Kleenex thing, hard as he tries.

    One of my winter jackets still has an immovable lump of melted lifesavers stuck in an inside pocket after I forgot they were in there and threw it in the washer and dryer. You are my people.

    ReplyDelete