- the airport in Paris had us walking about as far as it would have taken to walk to the Champs Élysées, had we wanted to do that
- we couldn't find a Timmie's at the airport but we've been amazed to see how many McDo's there are across the part of the country we've been in
- we found that we were wrongly pronouncing the name of the city we were in. Apt is pronounced Aupt not Apt
- not liking a grubby Nissan rental car should not necessarily have led us to rent a BMW, but my it's a lovely, spoil-us-forever vehicle
- I have a previously not-recognized fear of curvy winding mountain roads which are about as wide as a tourbus
- We both fell in love with Nice, even though the room we were in had a seriously leaking shower and the make-it-yourself breakfast left a lot to desire (but there were chocolate-filled croissants)
- Fourteen years after working in both official languages, I find I don't really have a good hold on either of them
- Annecy, where we are now, is a bit colder than I thought---duh, it's in the Alps
- I brought five pairs of pants and have been wearing the same ones for a week, with washing in there somewhere because I unfortunately can't fit in some of the ones I brought---two pairs of jeans that were just dandy at home.
- It's really hard to choose among the cheeses.
- We only arranged for 10 days in Annecy where we have this lovely corner flat with a curve-around balcony
Sunday, 21 May 2017
Being in France is Wonderful, and
there are a few things that we'll fondly remember as having been not so perfect.