Sunday 16 September 2018

What I mean by "Still in Wonderland"

We've been in our condo apartment for 10 years now, and we continue to feel incredibly lucky to be here.  While the building itself is not beautiful, we are located in a wonderful area. Because the site belongs to the National Capital Commission, the land must be 40% green, and it gives us a stream on one side of the building, the National Firefighters' Memorial with its beautiful walls and peaceful garden on another side, and a charming indigenous-themed park on another.  Our apartment is on the ground floor and we have a nice little patio where I often sit with a book and a glass of  wine.

Last month I was talking to a friend who wondered if we felt safe, being on the ground floor and I hastened to say that I had never given any thought to our safety and really enjoyed the freedom that it gives me.

This morning, while I was sitting in the living room with my coffee and a book, someone knocked on our patio door, someone I didn't know and whose pajama pants and bare chest made me think he might have been someone from our building whom I ought to have recognized. I went to the door and realized as soon as he started talking to me that I was wrong about that. Long story short, we gave him coffee and toast and David sat outside talking with him while I called the City to get advice on what our next steps should be, since he didn't appear to want to leave. Two very gentle policemen strolled over from the street, had a little chat with him and walked him over to their car.

Wonderland it still is.





6 comments:

  1. You all seem to have handled the situation very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have him coffee and toast! You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that I can picture this perfectly and that it is just what Momand Dad would have done!💚

    ReplyDelete
  4. We often build our homes to be our sanctuaries, even if we often invite guests in. It can be startling to have our bubbles penetrated - I think it's becoming less and less common, and even a kid going round selling chocolate bars can give me pause - who on earth is ringing my bell?

    Hope this one didn't scare you too much. Glad you weren't alone. Thank you for handling it with such grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wasn't scared, but when it was over, and Dave and I were back in the house, I felt the need for a coffee and a monster cinnamon bun. I didn't have the latter.

      Delete
    2. I loved the picture you posted on FB of what it looked like before you moved in. It's amazing to watch bits of the city be revitalized over time. I suppose because I've had several years filled with tough days I haven't been out as much and am often surprised by how quickly things transform.

      Delete