Sunday 26 April 2020

What I learned from my hair (no, I didn't mean "my head")

Many a year ago
Well, ever since we've been "in the house", I've talked quite a lot about turning myself into a hairdresser-on-her-own-head.  I've almost always coloured my hair myself, although it's a nice grayish colour now, and cut it my own when it was very short, which is easy, or when it was quite long over my ears.  For the most part, it worked and when it didn't I would go to the hairdresser both Dave and I get very good haircuts from. 

Today is the fifth week I've decided that I could have a better haircut, and set out to fix that. Up to yesterday, I was pleased.  Today, I forgot that I intended to live with what I had, and I allowed myself to pick up the for-hair-only scissors and have a go at the hair that covers my ears. Only one of the ears is now actually covered, neatly and mixing well with what I've done to the back.   The other hair over the ear somehow got about half an inch shorter.  

I either have to accept it, which I've done today by braiding some of the hair down the side, making my mistake seem like something I actually want, or by getting my name on the list of our hairdresser, which I'm sure is full for weeks. 

I also intend to take a course on self-esteem.



7 comments:

  1. It's not too bad for me just yet, as I'm in the habit of waiting till my hair's driving me nuts and I can do nothing with it before I make an appointment with my hairdresser. I do have thinning shears but haven't dug them out of the bathroom drawer yet. Your hair looks fine! -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair is also very thick but I haven't felt like thinning it. There's always tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. I got a haircut like, RIGHT BEFORE shutdown. Literally about ten minutes before. It should last a while before I look like Abbie Hoffman again. Shaved the facial too, for a better mask fit. That part was hard, but growing it back now, which is better. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we'd had vision on our call tonight. I have a photo on Facebook though

      Delete
  3. I cut mine too, and it's not real pretty. I did a pretty good job on Sean's, and have had to do the dogs as well. My little Bronx is blind and terrified of the sound of scissors, which he tries to bite, rather counter-productively. My mom informs me that trying to cut my grandmother's hair goes much the same way so we've both resolved to try the peanut butter grooming trick that has taken over youtube and tiktok.

    ReplyDelete