Saturday 23 December 2017

blurry is as blurry does.

You know how we sometimes get a song stuck in the brain?  Today I have a tune that is one of my least favourite songs in the world, the name of which I don't know, but the words go like this:  Loving you is easy 'cause you're beautiful...

How insensitive and short-sighted the song-writer who gave us this!  For one thing, "beautiful" is so blurry a word.  I know that "blurry" isn't a great word either but I'm sticking with that description because in this case, it's exactly the right word for me.  , "Beautiful" for me so often reflects both my observation and my values, and as both my vision and my thought processes are deteriorating  with age, I know that what I would have called beautiful in my twenties is something I might just take for granted now, or maybe find devalued. 

I find it hard not to use "beautiful" when I see a baby, but it has less to do with beauty than with joy; also with joy, "beautiful" when I see the dark chocolate cake Dave makes for special occasions; "beautiful" when someone in the family tries a new hair colour; "beautiful" if the wind has taken the tall grasses in front of our window and blown them in a curve that's like the last move in a ballet.

Hmmm, obviously I'm feeling kind of blurry myself.



2 comments:

  1. I had to look it up: https://youtu.be/94nDCm4NqIA

    Pretty terrible IMO. :)

    Beautiful blog btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes eye of the beholder and all that
    For sure
    And boy does the eye ever change with age
    -k
    Kate

    ReplyDelete